My Personal Experiences About Writing, Reading, and Everything in Between

Hello everyone, I’m Shan Mei. 

Welcome to my very first blog post. This is the first time in my past 22 years writing a blog. Although I’m a girl who kinda likes writing (I’ve tried writing novels before), blogging feels like a completely new genre. It’s about sharing real experiences, connecting with readers, and reflecting on life. It’s a challenge, but I’m excited to embrace it! To be honest, I’m still figuring out exactly what to write about, so I’ll take it naturally. I’ll start by sharing some personal experiences and thoughts, and let things flow from there. I hope you find my content interesting and that it resonates with you!

At first, I considered various topics for this blog, like graphic design, arts, dreams, fashion, vacations, and Asian culture. But as I began writing the previous paragraph, I had a strong feeling to talk about writing.

Sharing personal experiences about writing
Sharing personal experiences about writing (pexels.com)

I guess people who love to read often love to write, too. In my experience, these two passions are closely linked—the earliest beginning of my writing experience is reading.

Back in the times in Hong Kong, when I was a little kid, I read a lot. I can’t remember if it was my mom’s push or my natural curiosity, but I just started to read. I read children’s books, some educational children’s magazines that my mom subscribed to for me, and great classic novels (the exceptions were English books—I preferred books in Chinese, which is my native language.) I enjoyed reading, and so I think I could say I like reading, no matter what initially triggered the start.

Sharing personal experiences about reading
Sharing personal experiences about reading (pexels.com)

Thanks to my reading habits and a bit of natural talent, I often aced my essay assignments in primary school. Like reading, I can’t remember if it was the praise I received or my own interest that fueled my writing. Either way, I wrote, and I wrote even more after I got into an obsession with fictional novels. I loved the imaginary realms of fictional stories and wanted to create a world of mine with words. I certainly love writing during that time period. I designed settings, characters, and plots for my fantasy novel, spending weeks to get a few handwritten pages done. I shared my work with people around me and yep, I got some encouragement, but eventually, I gave up. The challenge wasn’t creativity or knowledge, but persistence, or in other words, self-discipline.

Sharing personal struggles about persistence (pixels.com)
Sharing personal struggles about persistence (pexels.com)

Years after my first unfinished novel, more unfinished writing works of mine were produced, and left behind, like tombstones marking “DEATH BY IMPERSISTENCE.”

Thank you so much for reading! I’d love to hear your thoughts and experiences with writing and reading. Leave a comment and let’s connect! Please follow for more of my blog posts in the future. <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Personal Experience with Persistence: Understanding Its Importance and Challenges

How to Stay Persistent? A Guide and A Mindfulness Journey to Nurturing Persistence